SharpEdge - Yoshida Hamono ZDP-189 Santoku Black Knife 180mm (7.1")
The Santoku design is intended for versatile use and best for chefs who prefer medium size multi-purpose knives.
ZDP-189 Santoku Black is manufactured at the smithery of Yoshida Hamono in Japan, a family company with an age-long tradition in manufacturing state-of-the-art tools and Japanese swords, i.e. katanas, by hand. Yoshida Hamono has a great deal of experience forging ZDP-189 steel in the traditional manner.
The heart of the knife is made of ZDP-189 steel, selected because systematic testing has proven its superior qualities and long-lasting sharpness. The steel is laminated, which entails that the core is made of very strong steel covered with an external layer of softer stainless steel. Such a blade remains sharp for a very long time; its softer external layer makes it easier to sharpen, and it also protects the core steel from external factors.
Kuro-uchi finish, the unprocessed (black) part on the top side of the blade has already developed dark patina, which protects the blade and gives it a traditional Japanese look.
Santoku Black was fitted with a traditional Japanese wooden handle, called Wa handle. The wooden handle is made of Walnut wood with an octagonal shape, so it will fit equally well into the hands of right- or left-handed users.
- Blade shape: Santoku
- Steel type: ZDP-189
- Hardness (HRC scale): 65-67
- Overall length: 315mm (12.4")
- Blade length: 180mm (7.1")
- Blade height: 47mm (1.9")
- Spine thickness: 2.0mm (0.08")
- Weight: 135g (4.8 oz)
- Handle length: 125mm (4.9")
- Handle type / wood: Japanese / Walnut
- Blacksmith: Yoshida Hamono
Use and Care:
- Handwash in warm water and towel dry
- Use a sharpening stone (not a honing steel!) to sharpen your knife
- Do not cut frozen foods and meat bones
- Do not put the knife in a dishwasher
Ships in 2-4 business days from order date.